Workshop details and Sign Up form
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for road infrastructure management - Details
- Kod: ACD_INFR_EX_BG_RM_02
- Category: Managerial techniques in infrastructure management
- Format: 30% lecture, 70% workshop including a business simulation game
- Duration: 4,5h
- Registration: on-line/ e-mail/ phone
- Location: INFRAMA Academy office / Client’s office / fixed location
- Workshop materials: yes
- Certification: participation in the workshop ends with a TÜV certificate
- One of the main obstacles to the practical implementation of modern methods of road infrastructure management (Asset Management) is the lack of explicit and reliable methods of defining objectives, both strategic and operational, and the ability to evaluation their implementation. A serious problem is also the inability to clearly define the expectations on the part of the founding authorities (e.g. the Voivodeship Authority) towards the road infrastructure managers (e.g. the Voivodeship Roads Authority) and to control the level of implementation of specific tasks. An additional difficulty is the lack of appropriate tools to present the manager’s performance to the public and to conduct informed policy debates.
- Asset Management provides a tool which helps to solve these problems. These are the KPIs (Key Performance Indicators). Unfortunately, the KPI methodology is little known in polish road authorities and used only occasionally.
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are successfully used by road infrastructure managers in many countries. The implementation of a consistent and context-related KPI system for the road manager is inexpensive and is based on the data usually already available.
- However, it is important to follow the universal principles of the discipline when implementing the KPI system, and in particular when defining and setting target values. Otherwise, the system of such indicators will not deliver the expected results. Experience shows that skillful definition of KPIs and their use in management leads not only to improvement of effectiveness of road management systems, but also to significant improvement of the Manager’s image.
The “KPI in road infrastructure management” training is divided into a lecture and workshop part, conducted in the form of a business game.
Solutions presented during the lecture are used by road infrastructure managers with many years of experience in defining and presenting KPIs. Differences in the way of defining indicators depending on their recipients and strategic goals will be highlighted. Both good and bad examples of solutions will be shown.
During the workshop, participants will be confronted with different decision-making situations, which infrastructure managers and representatives of central and local authorities (founding authorities) are confronted. They will solve tasks in small working groups in order to practically work out optimal key performance indicators for their appropriate presentation to different types of recipients.
- Context, stakeholders and objectives of the authority
- Problems and challenges of the authority. How to solve or reduce them by using appropriate KPIs
- Classification of indicator types:
- Status-quo indicators
- Dynamic indicators (dynamics, changes, …)
- Regional disparity indicators
- Practical setting of indicators for different decision-making situations
- Usage of KPIs for the purpose of:
- Traffic safety evaluation
- Pavement condition evaluation
- Evaluation of investment risk
- Effectiveness of maintenance programs
- Contracts for concession agreements and preparation of “keep standard” agreements
- Press conferences
- Budget debates
- Presentation of KPIs
- Traditional methods
- Using professional systems
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of the indicators used
- KPIs and their use in tender documents
- Determination of KPI target values
- representatives of road administrators, concessionaires, marshal offices, universities and construction companies
- employees of insurance agencies and banks financing infrastructure investments
- employees at supervisory positions, as well as heads of departments and other specialists, because synergy of various levels of decision-making in an organization gives the desired and expected effect.
If you are wondering whether this workshop will work for you, feel free to contact us. We will try our best to answer all of your questions and hopefully find a workshop best suited to your needs.
Sign for this workshop. If you have any questions, feel free to contact with us!