Care for quality
Karol Opara is a computer scientist and economist, a graduate of the Faculty of Mathematics and Information Sciences at the Warsaw University of Technology and the Warsaw School of Economics. His work on the valuation of road infrastructure won the award of Minister of Transportation for the MSc thesis in 2011. After PhD studies at the Institute of Computer Science ,Polish Academy of Sciences, he defended in 2014 his dissertation on evolutionary algorithms at the Institute of System Research PAS. His research interests also include data modelling and analysis methods and their various applications. In 2019 he received a scholarship from the Minister of Science for outstanding young scientists.
Since 2010 he has been cooperating with Heller Consult focusing on research and development issues. Currently, he is the technical manager of the Aspen project, co-financed by the European Space Agency, which aims to assess the condition of the surface using smartphones mounted in the vehicle.
In his free time he likes singing. He appreciates an abstract sense of humour.
Lectures and training
- Doctoral School of Information Technology and Biomedical Institutes of the Polish Academy of Sciences PAN , 2020, preparation and delivery of a full-semeter course Statistics and data analysis.
- Warsaw University of Technology, MCs studies, 2012, 2013, and Rzeszów University of Technology, MCs studies, 2013, 2018, developing and conducting part of the subject Road information systems.
- Heller Consult, 2016-2019, series of trainings for employees: (1) Pavement Condition Surveys, (2) Coordinated pavement maintenance systems, (3) Basics of statistics and data processing.
- Voivodship Road Authorities Katowice, 2017, Training and workshop for the board’s employees entitled “Characteristics of road asset management systems”.
- Research Institute of Roads and Bridges, 2014, Training “Online road data access system “Droga Online” for research staff of IBDiM.
- Opara K. R., Zieliński, Brzeziński K., Kaczmarek-Majer K., Bukowicki M., Evaluation of pavement roughness through vehicle vibration monitoring, The XXVIth World Road Congress 2019, Abu Dhabi.
- Tutka P., Brzeziński K., Opara K., Zieliński J., Pavement condition survey, driving comfort and traffic safety using an electric scooter. Autostrady Magazine 11-12/2019, pp. 61-66.
- Opara K. R., Zieliński J., Quality assurance of road traffic data. In Pavement and Asset Management: Proceedings of the World Conference on Pavement and Asset Management (WCPAM 2017), June 12-16, 2017, Baveno, Italy, ed. Maurizio Crispino (pp. 49-54), 2019.
- Bukowicki M., Opara K. R., Precise localization of damages on concrete slab pavements. In Pavement and Asset Management: Proceedings of the World Conference on Pavement and Asset Management (WCPAM 2017), June 12-16, 2017, Baveno, Italy, ed. Maurizio Crispino (pp. 43-48), 2019.
- Opara K. R., Zieliński J., Road Temperature Modelling Without In-Situ Sensors, The Baltic Journal of Road and Bridge Engineering, vol. 12 no 4, pp. 241-247, 2017.
- Opara K. R., Skakuj M., Stöckner M., Factors affecting raveling of motorway pavements-a field experiment with new additives to the deicing brine, Construction and Building Materials, vol. 113, pp. 174-184, 2016.
- Opara K. Coordinated road maintenance systems, Autostrady Magazine, 3/2015, pp. 68-73.
- Opara K., Jarzębski P. Condition survey parameters – measurements and assessment, Autostrady Magazine, 12/2013, pp. 54-58.
- Opara K., Road asset evaluation models, European Pavement And Asset Management (EPAM4) conference, Gustafson K. (eds), ISBN 978-91-637-1432-0, 05-07 September 2012, Malmö, Sweden.
- Opara K., Tabor Z., How much are the roads worth?, Drogi Samorządowe, nr 1-2, 2012, pp. 22-27.
- Statistics and data analysis
- Artificial Intelligence